Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Disturbance Orientation (answered)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello everyone. This should be what I think will be a pretty easy question to answer. On the screen printing on the board you can see there is flat side of the LED. My initial impression were that that was the negative side. Then I thought, well there is also a diode coming out of that LED that shows the polarity going the other way. I feel like I should follow the polarity on the diode sticking out of the circle but something told me to confirm it first. Thanks for your time everyone.

Barry
    Keymaster

They are the same.  The flat side of an LED is the cathode and the stripe side of a silicon or germanium diode is also the cathode. In the photo you can see that both the flat side of the LED and the stripe side of the diode have the same orientation. This symbol is meant to show you have an option for either LEDs or another type of diode. (Hence the extra pad for fit)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ahh. Thanks Barry! Yup, I screwed that one up. Not sure why I thought the strip on a diode was the (+) anode. Thanks for the prompt reply!

Barry
    Keymaster

Happy to help.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.