Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion Difference between the Dr. Phybes and the Vibe?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leebob
    Participant

I have a question regarding the difference between the Dr. Phybes phaser pedal and the Vibe?  Could someone offer a straightforward summary of what makes one different from the other (along with a pros and cons of each)?  I’m not looking for a detailed technical explanation just a generalized comparison as they both seem like the same thing and I’m trying to determine which path to choose.  I understand the Dr. Phybes is probably an older board but, beyond that, what are the important concepts to consider?

Thanks folks!

Cybercow

Leebob – the primary difference between the “Dr Phybes” and the “Vibe” are some capacitor value differences in the four phase shifting stages. The PCBs are identical. The difference between a “phaser” and “vibrato” pedal are subtle, both electronically and sonically. I tend to think of a phaser as an exaggerated version of a vibrato. And real the fundamental definition of a vibrato vs a tremolo – a vibrato modulates a signal’s phase; whereas a tremolo modulates a signal’s amplitude (volume).

And if you’re interested, ElectroSmash wrote up a very well done analysis of the Phase 90 where you can find a more detailed explanation here: ElectroSmash Phase 90 Analysis

Hope this helps.

Leebob
    Participant

Indeed it does, Mr. Cybercow!  So, using either board as a starting point, it is possible to build a dual pedal by switching those values from one set to the other but using only a single board (and only one set of common components – especially the matched set of transistors)?  Yep, I am a cheap bastardo!  I have seen this offered by some folks as a complete pedal but wondered…

Barry
    Keymaster

By having two individual boards which ultimately will produce two unique individual tones we get many more people building one or the other. 10 years ago we used to have just the phaser board and list a particular mod called “the vibe mod” Unfortunately at the end of the day nobody bothered to build the vibe which was a shame.

Giving “The Vibe” circuit a name all its own resulted in people actually building it and it is certainly worthy of adding to anyone’s pedal board when built to those specifications.

Incidentally the vibe tone is a sound you would hear familiar to that of Robin Trower or perhaps Jimi Hendrix and is quite different than a traditional phaser tone.

So that is the “real reason” there are two unique circuits with two different names that could technically be built on a single board.

Cybercow

Leebob – I believe such a dual pedal is possible. But, TBH, considering there a total of 5 cap values and 1 resistor value to change, doing so in a live circuit holds a considerable potential for a loud “pop” when switching. The only means I can think of to avoid such a “pop” would be to use a 6P2T MBB (make-before-break) switch. I’m sure such a switch is available, but will likely be costly and require a bit more enclosure real estate for housing. Just something to consider.

Personally, if I desired to have both the “Vibe” and a “Dr Phybes’, I would build two separate pedals – each with all mods available. I might consider putting them both in one 1590DD enclosure, (although they might fit into a 1590XX), possibly with an order switching option. But that’s just me. (And Barry does have quad matched phaser FET sets on sale right now. Dunno if he has any left or how long it will last.)

Barry – thanks for the bit of history lesson.

wilkie1

I’m installing both in a MEGAPEDALBOARD.  That way I can switch between them for different tones as well as different speeds.  Of course, you can add the 2 Knob Job board to change speeds if desired.  Don’t forget to add the status LED to show you the speed. It’s a “cheap and cheerful” addition.

Leebob
    Participant

Guys, thanks for the details…Mr. Wilkie1…please elucidate sir!  If I were to combine these into a Phyberovibe how would one do that with the 2 knob job board?

wilkie1

The 2 Knob Job can be used to switch between 2 pots such as volume or speed.  If you wish to put the 2 effects in one enclosure and switch between them with a single switch, you can do that with a DPDT switch to select either one.  If you use a 3PDT you can add a status LED.  I hope this helps.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.