Home Forums Show Off Your Build Dark Drive (Bass driver)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

This is the second of two pedals I am taking with me at the end of this week for friends I only see once a year when I travel. This one is a Three Time Champ, done up to Bass OD specs (I believe its just two capacitors are different…) for one of the bass players in the band. He saw some of the pedals I made last year and asked me for something to give him a little edge. I had made my own 3TC for myself (although THAT one was a MyTonBlonde I believe!) and he dug it so I figured this would be good for him. I hope he digs it. I think it sounds great, though I don’t have a bass to test with. I put my Les Paul in the neck position and rolled the tone back a bit and noodled around a bit. It did the trick.

This was my very first attempt at squeezing everything into an appropriately sized enclosure- usually I like working in oversized spaces. I also tried top mounted jacks. In the end it all worked out- until I went to close it! The internal 9V jack was in the way and wouldn’t allow the PCB to sit low enough to clear the rear lid. Luckily I’ve moved almost exclusively to the external nut versions, so I just swapped for one of those and gained all the space I needed. I also made the mistake of setting the finished enclosure face down on a roll of tape overnight while I was doing some final testing and the adhesive seems to have “burned” a semi-circle ring right at the very top of the pedal. I’m super bummed as the finish was pretty clean otherwise. Not enough to strip it and refinish it. This will likely live on the road and get beat up. So be it.

The image is a dark drive. Big stretch, I know. Whipped up the graphics and labels in InkScape and unfortunately that’s where the horizontal lines came from too- might be time to retire the ink jet printer and just invest in a laser jet for myself. It seems like whenever I’m in a hurry they do that!

Cybercow

Nice work!

wilkie1

Nice neat work!  I wish I could be that neat…

My enclosures always look like a bowl of Spaghetti Marinara.  Maybe because I put too much STUFF inside….

Matt
    Participant

Thanks guys! I’m heavily leaning in the ways of the combo, so this is a toned down departure for me. But since it was for someone else it could be simple. The next bass pedal I make (as referenced in a previous post) will be a fuzzy/boosty/EQ-y thing with a mid control for my old college roommate. For the moment I’m in a unique position of having no half projects looming (except the two populated- wait, three populated boards awaiting a purpose) so I can focus on clearing off my workspace and organizing my tools and parts. We’ll see how THAT goes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.