Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Cranky Charles Diode Question

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jason Coleman
    Participant

I got a Cranky Charles and am looking forward to building this. I have a question on the PCB markings as well as the schematic. The schematic lists a “D1.1” and “D2.1” along side D1 and D2, respectively (which I assume to be clipping diodes). There appear to be additional through holes on the PCB for these, adjacent to the D1 and D2 markings. I’ve not seen labeling like that before, so I figured I’d ask.

Assuming that D1 and D2 are clipping diodes, are D1.1 and D1.2 just points to use different types of diodes for different clipping? That is, if you used a 1n- signal diode, you could lay it flat on the PCB by using D1.1 and D1.2 for the respective cathodes (instead of placing the diode vertically). Is that a correct assumption?

Has anyone built this effect with something other than LEDs? Any suggestions on diodes to use for clipping? I’ll probably socket these so I can play around with some different diodes here but figured if anyone had some suggestions, it’d be worth starting with those. Thanks.

Matt
    Participant

Barry does this a lot with clipping diode markings- if you look at it, one option is for LEDs, with the flat side of the bulb lining up with the drawing. If you chose a BAT41s or a 34, you’d match the line on the diode with the line on the PCB. Very clever.

Barry
    Keymaster

Yes we lovingly refer to this as a Kenny.

This allows you to make a choice between a set of pads to use either an LED or alternate diode such as Silicon, Germanium etc.. while maintaining a clear image of the Cathode regardless of choice and without using up precious board real estate especially in the case where one preference is usually encouraged.

wilkie1

Marvelous!  Simply a marvelous idea!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart