Home Forums General DIY Pedal Discussion Component values

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    PKR Pedals
    Participant

I don’t know if this has been discussed before, but what do you guys do as far as getting your components as close to the value on the schematic? Say if you need a 47pf cap and all of your 47pf caps read 33pf, do you just stick that in or do you combine 2 caps to get the value suggested? What about resistors? I measure everything and try to get the exact one if possible. In my mind, I think that makes the pedal the best it can be.

Billy

You don’t need to be that precise for pedal circuits as you know most components have a tolerance

Caps especially have a fairly large tolerance + or – 20% and greater if a pedal requires matched or close values it’ll usually tell you in the build doc

If you get your components from a good supplier then they should be fine

You should still make sure your values are correct before installing them using your meter we’re all human and even top suppliers can make mistakes with labelling etc

Barry
    Keymaster

With regards to resistors the ones to watch for are resistors used to Bias a transistor. They should be exact.

What I did was buy a component kit so I had a lot then eventually I would add more.

You can get ceramic cap kits very cheap on eBay.

PKR Pedals
    Participant

Thanks guys. I try to make sure all the components are exact or as close as possible with what I have.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.