Home Forums Show Off Your Build Complete 1st 2 builds (Sunn-T Ratt)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So I finished my first 2 builds (is going to be a combo build, but this forum told me to test them one by one, good advice). Both working fine. There is a bit of noise on the Sunn, but will test this when it is in a shielded enclosure, also fine tuning the bias then. Kit was very complete, only there was not enough wire in the Sunn (bought at Musikding), but then I wired everything,

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thinking of what to add next. I think a tone stack to the ratt and adding a Muff complete with tonestack. Also I guess a buffer up front will be good, thinking of the silent tuner buffer kit and putting a cheap tuner on that one after taking it apart so it can all fit in one housing. Can I just power everything from wallwart (as long as it doesn’t draw current than it is rated for)? Maybe a tube screamer also (again with tonestack), one monster distortion paddel. I am not in a hurry, just started playing 2 months ago so first have to learn to play 🙂

Barry
    Keymaster

Excellent job on the solder and wiring. Looks like you really got it down.

I highly suggest both the Tone TwEQ for so many builds also including Reverb, Compressor as well as the obvious Dirt and Fuzz applications and I use a Silent Tuning Buffer board myself.

Most people when they start out invest in a One-Spot power supply as they are affordable and have features helpful to proper pedal sharing. I once had 19 pedals power by one. Honestly you would want a decent isolated power supply once you have over 10 pedals though to prevent noise and cross-talk. Current draw on dirt and Fuzz pedals is minimal. <20mA

You can never go wrong with a Tube Screamer but an Aeon Drive is a great (less bloated) version to consider.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just wanted to add, I was very happy with the quality of the kits. The first time you have to take in account some extra time to really try and understand the way the wiring works. Also it helps to read everything about 2 or 3 other kits. Sometimes something is explained more clearly than with your kit. One small piece of improvement, the holes for the wiring are very small. For components they are fine, but for wire very small. If you apply tin to the wire before as I always do very hard to get it in (without applying tin first you risk one or 2 strands not going in). But all in all very well designed.

I just ordered a massive Hammond 1550J Box, (65X175X275MM) so enough space for these builds and some more.

Barry
    Keymaster

We always suggest 24 gauge wire for pedals

That is what Barry’s Best wire is which sells like crazy when I have it. It is also pre-tinned. Since Klaus does not carry my wire because it is hard for me to get I am certain another brand of 24 Gauge may be available.

I will have to talk to Klaus about supplying 22 gauge as that is heavier than we use. 22 Gauge will work considering it is smaller in diameter than a 1N4001 diode (which easily fits our pads) so we know it works but it is a bit more difficult. 24 Gauge is the common we like and I suggest using that if you can.

See our Slide Show Main Menu Bar for lots of examples.

Also see the Combo Build Guide for more examples of using 24 Gauge.

Also please know I do not get commission and I am not involved in any way with the kit process. I only provide Klaus with circuit boards and nothing more so I do not have a lot of say.

Perhaps he can send you 24 Gauge upon request?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you! I think I can get that wire at my local component store. I got everything in, so no need for switching. Just something I know for the next build.

Matt
    Participant

Nice work. I happen to love the Ratt Deluxe here- I’ve made a bunch of them and have two more sitting in my queue waiting to go. And I’ve been itching lately for a new one… So many projects! But I’m looking forward to seeing how you finish these up.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

Anonymous
    Inactive

So I put the pedals in my housing, pleny of space. I desolderd the pins from some old mainboads and used those to easy connect the cables. Next up tonestack of the ratt and muff with tonestack.

Barry
    Keymaster

That could be a serious Box Of Doom if one were so inclined to play in that style.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.