Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Combo Emexar (Dist+), Roto-Tone Deluxe (Clipping) & Tone Tweq (Pré?Post?Toggle)

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 2 days, 20 hours ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

fr4nck
    Participant

Hi All,

In emexar building note:

Under the “socket and see” approach try different clipping diode options such as Germanium, Silicon and Led. For example populating D1 and D2 with Germanium and Silicon in series will produce a unique tone with more available volume or gain. Try adding a Diode at D3 for Asymmetrical clipping. Again, socket and see. Adding an LED at D3 may produce a fat tone.

I have a Roto-tone deluxe and I would like to use it in order to have different clipping diode options, as you offers in the building notes.

Do you have exemples for it?

For Tone Tweq Pcb, I would use a pré/post toggle switch, but I’m not sure about it interest… Does somebody has already did this?

Thank you,

Have a nice day.

Cybercow

The build document for the RotoTone Deluxe is here: RotoTone Deluxe

wilkie1

I am trying to find other pictures of diode clipping options for you.

As far as the ToneTwEQ switching, if you place EQ before other effects, you will change the tones that the effects are modifying.  If you place the EQ after effects, you will be changing the sound that was already modified by the effects.  So, you will get different results from the two positions.  As we say, “Socket and see!”  or, in this case, “try it and listen!”.

fr4nck
    Participant

Hi,
    @cybercow: I read Rototone Deluxe and Rototone “Classic”. But, how I plugg it in Emexar? On D1, with a jumper on D2 and a toggle on/on toggle with a led in one side?
    @wilkie1: Cool for Diodes Ideas!
    I’m ok with you about Tone Tweq, I should test it before.

See you

Cybercow

@fr4nk – I would leave D2 & D3 empty and connect the RotoTone across D1. Then on the RotoTone PCB you set up 4 different diode clipping configurations. See the attached image for examples. (And remember to socket the diodes on the RotoTone PCB so you try different diodes and configurations. Also note that different diodes have different Fvd (“Forward Voltage Drop) and some of the configurations may sound louder or quieter [allow more or less volume to pass] depending on the total Fvd across the different diode combos.)

Hope this helps.

fr4nck
    Participant

Hi all,

Cybercow wrote: Also note that different diodes have different Fvd (“Forward Voltage Drop) and some of the configurations may sound louder or quieter [allow more or less volume to pass] depending on the total Fvd across the different diode combos.)

Could I use trimpot to regulate it and have the same VFD for all? Which  trimpot values could you suggest? If I’m right?

fr4nck
    Participant

I would like to try what is suggested in rototone doc but i’m not able to recognize which type are represented in this picture taken from the documentation:

1. Germanium 1n34a (0,3 Fv)
    2. Red led (1.6 Fv)
    3. Silicon diode 1n4148 (1,0 Fv) or 1N456A
    4. Zener?

Or maybe it was juste to illustrate? 🙂

Billy

Yes just to illustrate what you can do looks like

1. Germanium (1N34A)

2. LEDs

3 Schottky (1N4001, BAT41 etc)

4 Silicon (1N4148)

All different forward voltages

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart