Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Buff N Blend Questions…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Robert
    Participant

I still have a high pitched squeal that sounds like a metallic Phaser/Flanger, even when the effect is OFF. The build docs talk about adding a stage 3 to the effect loop? What does this even mean? I am building a box with an octave up and down with dry going to ds-1 distortion to Mini me chorus. The box sounds great but I wanted to add the original signal back in to join the effect. (This is a bass pedal). I had the Metallic hiss before and still now after the Buff n Blend/ Why???… What can I do? What am I doing wrong?

wilkie1

You say the high pitched squeal is present even when the effect is off?  Do you mean that it is present when the signal is NOT going through the Buff N Blend?  If so, the noise is being produced by something BEFORE entering the device.  To confirm, remove the Buff N Blend from the signal path and see if he noise is still present.  If so, what is in the signal path between the bass and the amp?

Adding a Stage 3 to the effects loop is only required if a phase issue exists.  Disregard for now.

Robert
    Participant

Hi, sorry. I couldn’t go back and edit after posting. When the pedal is off I have clean bypass. When effect is on, I have a metallic flanger sound. And I notice that the blend knob now seems to work backwards after I rewired the configuration. Confusing. Now instead of the dry signal being added by turning the knob clockwise, it ads the effect. The signal chain in, from guitar to the input of the pedal. To the buff n blend in, out the send, to the Octave circuit, to distortion to chorus, to buff n blend return, and out to the output jack. Right? Everything gets wired to and through the buff n blend, right?

wilkie1

First, the knob is working correctly.  Clockwise rotation ADDS the effects loop.

Now, let’s track down the noise source.  First, activate the BnB circuit and turn the knob full CCW.  That will disconnect the effects loop and leave only the dry signal passing through the buffer.  If you have noise, the source is probably in the buffer.  If not, the noise is in the loop.  Go to step two.

Remove two of the three effects in the loop and turn the balance knob fully CW.  Replace each of the three effects in the loop individually until you find the one that is creating the noise.  Hopefully, at this point you will have located the noise source.

Test and report your results.

Robert
    Participant

Hi, I will be reverse engineering this pedal and seeing what may or may not be the cause. So, it could just be the fact that there are an odd number of affects? or that 1 may be the culprit? Either way, we shall see.

Robert
    Participant

OK, I removed 1 of the 3 in every arrangement. Everything is fine using 2 effects. All 3 is what gives me a problem. Why? Well, regardless. I thought that’s the whole point of adding the buff n blend? I had the noise before ordering this “solution”. Do I need a 4th in the circuit to even out the noise in the 3? Does it work that way? haha

Robert
    Participant

The mystery continues. But in a good way. It works. I cut all wires to and fro in the middle, spliced and twisted for the multiple combinations of effects. So far, and I’m not so concerned with dirt before modulation and after the octave at this point. Trial and error and keeping this feed updated as they happen. In to buff n blend, send to chorus, out to octave, out to dist, out to return and to out. Works perfect.

Robert
    Participant

And now in the proper order from send to octave to dist to chorus. We are good. I only have the noise when the effect is on, and the drive / gain is maxed all the way clockwise. The slightest tiniest teeniest amount lowered and it goes away. So for me? I am happy. It’s my pedal. My prototype. I am also using a Modified DS-1 circuit with maxed gain and extra diodes for a fuzz gain. I am happy for now. Thank you.

wilkie1

I’m happy that you are happy.  Usually we don’t need to turn the gain up to 10.

Robert
    Participant

And I’m a bassist. This is a bass box. hahaha

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.