Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support apollo trem buffer

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    robin edge
    Participant

i finished my build and it sounds great but the buffer is no louder turned wide open than when the unit is bypassed.is this normal?thanks.

Cybercow

Robin – please clarify which specific control you are using when you “turned wide open”. (Are you referring to the “BLevel” control?)  And, are you using a “Gain” control or the “GTrim” option in this build? (It is noted in the build document NOT to use both the Gain pot AND the GTrim trimpot.)

robin edge
    Participant

i the gain controll turned up.i also have the blevel turned up.i only have the gain pot,not trim,wired up.when i switch kill switch on the sound is maybe a little louder than the input.trem sounds great.i was just curious.thanks.

wilkie1

If I may add some thoughts to this discussion, I see that the supply voltage feeding the B. LEVEL pot will also determine the voltage at the LED in the VACTROL. If you have a weak battery, this may not provide as much  light from the LDR in the VACTROL and, therefore, prevent some signal level from reaching IC1a.

In any case, as long as you can achieve unity level at the output, you have a perfectly usable pedal.  I always believe it is best to maintain unity level throughout the signal chain on the pedal board unless you are trying to Boost the level going to the amp to overdrive the front end of the amp.  Your thoughts, Cybercow?

robin edge
    Participant

thanks.i am using 9 volts dc powersupply.it puts out 9.4 volts.i  find the pedal very nice.ive played on it for 2 days and love it.lot of different sounds.

Cybercow

Robin – considering Wilkie1’s response and a closer examination of the schematic, it appears that as Apollo Tremolo is designed, “unity gain” is its achieved standards. So, to directly answer your initial question, (and in concurrence with Wilkie1), “Yes – the circuit is designed to reach unity gain as a max.” The Apollo Tremolo is in no way a boost pedal; nor was it designed to “boost” the signal. To summarize, it sounds like your build is behaving as intended. Good job!

robin edge
    Participant

thanks again

Barry
    Keymaster

You are hearing the benefits of the buffered signal so you can hear that noticeable enhancement by using the Apollo Tremolo kill switch for your effect bypass. This is why keeping the pedal on all of the time and instead bypass the tremolo using the Kill Switch can be so beneficial. This is also why we did not adjust the GAIN of the buffer keeping your buffered signal the same as everything else so you may use it all of the time. It is not considered a boost of volume but a boost of great tone if you will which will actually vary greatly depending on how many feet of cable, quality of cable and the number of true bypass guitar pedals you use between your guitar and amp.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.