Home Forums Show Off Your Build Anxiety Disorder Drive

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Cybercow

Perfect for a 1590B enclosure and a great sounding overdrive circuit, the Anxiety Disorder Drive is a quick build and like all of Barry’s projects is easy to understand with considerations for other opportunities. In this build, all I did different was to use a 1N5817 diode in series at the power supply instead of a shunted 1N4001 diode. (I just prefer that DC protection scheme.)

EDIT: This configuration of the 1N5817 as shown in the photos here is corrected photo! The way it is connected DOES work. Here, the 1N5817 is floated between the PCB and the 3PDT Wiring board. The incoming +9V from the DC jack goes ONLY to the 3PDT Wiring board – from there, the 1N5817 diode feed the +9V to the ‘Anxiety Disorder Drive’ PCB.

I’m waiting on delivery of a new laser printer, so the enclosure is not yet completed – but I’ve included a couple of ideas I’m entertaining for this build. I’ll likely go with the straight and narrow for this specific build. I have a second A.D.D. PCB ready to go for the fun candy wrapper.

Careful, repeated measurements really help squeeze things to gather for top-mounting the jacks in 1590B enclosure.

It’s nice when the guts all fit nicely into the enclosure after drilling. Took a couple of tries to learn that the DC jack had to be installed first, but soldered last.

And finally, the two different completed pedals . . . . .

Happy Building!

Chris
    Participant

Nice!  I just ordered this board and plan to pair it with a 6-way…..no, actually I’ll just show you when I’m done. 😉  I really love that you used the original Ge diode instead of some of the newer versions.  So, how does this alternate power protection work exactly?

Looking forward to the fun candy wrapper!

Paul Eliasson
    Participant

I plan to order one tonight myself!

Chris
    Participant

I don’t think the second mockup loaded before.  Love them both!

Cybercow

Chris – the 1N5817 is just a Schottky diode in series with positive DC supply line. The 1N4001 has a higher Fvd and is slower than the 1N5817. And the preference to series over shunt is a matter of “potato” – “potato”. It makes no difference, what so ever, in the sound.

Barry
    Keymaster

This circuit is the very first circuit that Tonmann and I worked on together to make it sound better back in 2009.

That obviously led into a great many things which is our amazing community.

fig
    Participant

@Cybercow

Masterful.

@Barry

I have learned a great deal through the archives, more current posts, and building the great circuits here. I have the AD in my cart.

Chuck
    Participant

Another nice build.  Interesting change to the 5817 nice and clean for what is essentially a hack – going to have to try that.  I’m curious about the way the 3PDT board is wired – for years I’ve been running +9v and Ground to the 3PDT board, the input/output signal and grounds from jacks to the 3PDT board then signal and power from the 3PDT board to the main board.  Lately I’ve noticed a change in the build documents and a lot of folks running the signal grounds from the main board to the jacks, and in this build it looks like you’ve run the +9V and Ground from the power jack to the main board then out to the 3PDT board and it looks like all the signal grounds are empty?  Am I missing some magic mojo here?

Chuck

Barry
    Keymaster

@Chuck in regards to how to wire the 3PDT..

It is all a preference in what works best with you.

One of those 6 and 1/2 dozen things.

fig
    Participant

It would also seem to combat noise introduction (unverified observation).

Cybercow

fig – Thanks! And actually, an electrical engineering friend in the UK verified that the 1N5817 (in series) and a shunted 47µF cap combo makes for a very elegant noise filter.

Chuck – correct. I’ve supplied the jack grounds directly from the DC jack in the instance. The ground to the 3PDT Wiring board is just for the LED.

Barry – good to know. You and the T-man have done some stellar work!

Chris
    Participant

Lots of good info here!  Thank you, gentlemen, for sharing your knowledge with us!

Cybercow

I’ve corrected the protection diode faux pas and provided updated photos in the OP to demonstrate the application of the 1N5817 diode.

Garrett
    Participant

I might have to copycat you on this one. The inspiration circuit is a fave of mine. And top jacks are always a yes!

Cybercow

Garret – please do. I can provide the artwork for you, if you like, as well.

mybud
    Participant

Inspiring as ever, CC. Valium for volume, a master stroke.

Billy

Nice one Cybercow that’s a real clean looking beast

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.