Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Angry Red Camel component question

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

The Angry Red Camel requires the CD4049UBE. I have several NTE4050B ICs in my stock which are the non-inverting equivalent of the 4049. Can I use the 4050 as a drop in replacement?

thanks!

Billy

Looking at the datasheets they’re pin compatible but as you say one inverts and one doesn’t so the outputs would be different in comparison to the input ie if inputs high outputs low and visa versa one’s + one’s –  etc

Not being a CMOS expert by any means I would think the circuit wouldn’t function correctly

Barry
    Keymaster
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Barry! After reading how the 4049 is being used , I think it’s worth giving the 4050 a try.

Barry
    Keymaster

Oddly the 4049UB and 4050B are listed on the same datasheet. 4049 is a logical inverter, 4050 is non-inverting. My understanding is the 4050 is buffered as there is another gain stage in each of the six sections, making it “buffered”. The 4049 inverter comes in both a 4049UB and a 4049B version, unbuffered and buffered respectively.

The 4049UB and 4069UB are useful for pedals and analog amplification, as their internal gain is small enough that they can be biased into the linear range. The B series inverters have so much gain that they’re effectively impossible to get to amplify as everything comes out as square waves, and they can’t easily be biased to give amplification although we would never discourage you to try. We cannot support a build however that does not use the correct components so if there is a support issue please try the proper chip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.