Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Ancestral Apparition (no signal)

• This topic has 12 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Billy.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Marc
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Marc from Germany here! I recently acquired the Ancestral Apparition Reverb via Klaus of MusikDing.de. I have to say that I am new to DIY pedals and that this is my third project (I built a Fuzz and a DigiDelay before).

I just finishes building the AA, plugged it in and – no signal gets through, neither wet nor dry. At least the LED turns on and off. For wiring the 3PDT Board, I used this guide https://guitarpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/bpfed/3PDT-Wiring-Board-Guide-1.png and I think I did it exactly as it says.

Here is a photo of my project, I would be really happy if someone could help. Thanks a lot!

Barry
    Keymaster

It appears to be wired correctly. I would look closely at the Input Jack as there are many wires that appear to be in the way when inserting your guitar cable. Also that said be sure your cables are both working and only use two good cables and one pedal for testing.

I would move wires out of the way so they will not get caught up with the guitar cable and also you may have to rotate the Jack slightly so that when you insert the Guitar Cable so that it does not short against the enclosure.

I would retest that you have good connections with all off-board wiring. Tug on them a bit to make sure they are not just hanging by a thread.

The orientations of the Electrolytic caps are fine and the IC’s as well.

Here is the Ancestral Build Doc for convenience for anyone else helping out.

Marc
    Participant

Hi Barry, thank you for your quick response and your tips!

I used very good cables and only the AA pedal – nothing else was in the chain. All the off-board wires have a good connections and are attached firmly, so they don´t come off when pulling. I tried getting the cables out of the way and rotated the jacks a bit, but still no signal got through.

What I noticed though was that if I connect the T Pad cables to the ring and not the tip of the jacks, I get a clean signal through. Unfortunately the signal doesn´t change when I turn on the pedal, so it´s dry / dry. Could it have something to do with the two stereo jacks?

wilkie1

I believe I see that both jacks have the signal wires soldered to the ring lug instead of the tip lug.

Billy

+1 Wilkie with them being stereo jacks you could have one or both the I and O wires going to the ring solder lug instead of the tip solder lug, put a jack in like the image below and follow them round to make sure you’ve got the I and O from the 3PDT pcb going to the tip solder lugs on the jacks the IN jack appears correct but it’s difficult to see the OUT jack and not all jacks are the same layout so easy to confirm by sticking a jack in, see where the tip connects to and follow it round to it’s solder lug

Marc
    Participant

Hey @Wilkie1, hey @Billy, thank you so much for your help. It seems that the jacks I have DO have a different layout – the lug connected to the tip is the one in the middle and not the one closest to the input!

I soldered the I and O wires to the correct lugs now, and as I said, I do get a clean signal through now. But when I turn the switch on, the signal remains unchanged.

Billy

It’s very easy to put your cables in the wrong way round when the pedals upside down just check you haven’t accidentally put your in cable in your out jack and visa versa

I’ve done it myself before!…………………

On more than one occasion

Your R19 looks like a 1M it should be a 1K colour bands should be brown, black, black, brown, brown

Barry
    Keymaster

Also I believe your LED in the 3PDT Wiring board is wired to give you an LED light when the pedal is off. The cathode should connect to the Non-white pad for Active status.

Marc
    Participant

@Billy, you have crazy good eyes seeing that one resistor has the wrong value! And you seem to be right, although I double-checked all the parts before the build and I clearly remember it being marked as 1K (because there was only one). Also I don´t see the 1K resistor anywhere else on the board, so it doesn´t look like I mixed them up. Do you see one?

@Barry, that explains a lot! I will fix this tonight.

Thank you so much for your help everybody, I will try these things and give you an update!

Billy

Marc definitely no 1K on the board I should say all the other values are correct everything else is as it should be from what I can see

The only resistor you can’t see is the 33K R20 with no colour bandings that type will have it’s value written on it

Marc
    Participant

Hey everyone, I got the missing 1K resistor today, put it on the board annnd – it works perfectly and sounds amazing! Thank you so much for your help everybody and especially to you @billy for taking the time to check the values and figuring out the problem. Here is a photo of the finished pedal, I made it as a birthday gift for my best friend. The pedal is named after a song we wrote many years ago.

wilkie1

Way to go, Billy!  You are our new “Eagle Eyes!”

Billy

That looks great Marc well done

Haha no chance Ray maybe once I’ve changed to 6″ thick lenses

Anyway it’s one to look out for since this post I’ve seen several on other forums with the exact same a 1M labelled as a 1K all kits

I’ve emailed Klaus to give him the heads up I’ve seen at least 7 posts recently

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart