Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Ancestral Apparition (solved)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Will
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m having trouble with an Ancestral Apparition reverb.  I put it together according to the instructions, plugged it all in, and the light turned on but got nothing when the effect is engaged.  Sends signal through just fine in bypass mode, but nothing when engaged.  Totally muted.  My first thought was that IC 3 and 4 might not be seated properly in their mounts, but I could feel they were getting warm, which led me to believe they were in the circuit and doing their job.  I also looked up the data sheet on it (78L05) and saw somewhere that they were supposed to be pretty industructable.  I’ve also seen someone who did not use the IC mounts in their build and theirs seemed to do fine.  In any case I decided to directly solder them to the board and reflow the solder pads on the board (or at least as many as I could get to without removing the potentiometers and reverb unit.  So that’s what I did.  I took it out of the housing to do it obviously, and decided to leave it when I went to test it.  Lo and behold, it worked, but was obviously very fuzzy because of not being in a shielded housing.  But anyway that let me know that I didn’t break anything soldering the voltage regulators to the board.  So I was happy with that.

I re-installed it into the housing, stupidly forgot to resolder the power jack, redid that, and plugged it all in back to square one: works fine in bypass, totally muted when the effect is engaged.  Anyone have any ideas what could be wrong?

Bruce R

The “T” pad on the output should be wired to the BO pad on the 3PDT, and the ring lug on the out jack should connect to the ground pad, which is the pad not marked “T”. I can’t see the input wiring very well, but the T pad on the input should be wired to BI, and ring on jack to the ground pad, not marked with “T”.

This has caused some confusion, and Barry is updating the boards when he orders more of each to make the actual in and out pads in a white outline, similar to what you see on one of the pads of the bi-color LED locations.

Report back, we’re pulling for you!

Bruce R

Barry looked at the build and said he believes that you have the input side wired correctly (he was looking at an AA PCB, I didn’t have one handy). So just reverse the wires on the output side of the PCB, and your luck may improve.

Will
    Participant

Yes I should have posted earlier, I followed your advice after your first comment. That cleared it all up. Thank you!

Bruce R

Great! Glad you got this solved.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.