Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Ancestral App and pots

This topic contains 11 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  pgodfrin 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

pgodfrin
    Participant

Hiya folks,

Successfully built an Ancenstral Apparition. The 125B is a little too small, so I ordered a larger enclosure. I am curious about the pots though – see if y’all can give me some advice.

It seems the effect of the knobs is extreme – I can’t push them past a tiny amount from full counter clock wise. Is there a way to adjust the amount of “action” in the dial?

pg

Barry
    Keymaster

Especially if this observation is as extreme as you say you should consider it is quite possible there could be a build issue. Visually recheck and verify all values by color band and part number. For example R11 is 470 ohm sometimes mistaken for 470k ohm. Since I have not previously heard anyone suggest an issue like this and it was not my experience this makes it worth a serious re-check.

If we have pictures we can take a look as well.

pgodfrin
    Participant

Great thanks I will. Besides confusing 470R and 470k, what should I be on the lookout for?

One things I goofed up is I used a 1/2 W resistor in one case – would that matter?

I’ll work on getting a photo

Barry
    Keymaster

1/2 watt is fine other than fit. With that in mind besure to re-flow any suspect solder joints. Especially dull grey instead of shiny. Check that every capacitor matches the BOM and that they match the exact location on the board.

Finally visually inspect and verify every resistor with an online calculator.

pgodfrin
    Participant

roger that, thanks Barry!

pgodfrin
    Participant

My, my. Didn’t even bother checking components, saw these two macked up solder points on the pots. Oddly enough the (top) one has continuity to ground. Checked the bottom one and the resistance sweeps across the pot. However, the last photo shows the ground solder point has NO continuity to ground…

ugh.

pgodfrin
    Participant

Ya think this PCB is gorked?

Billy

The decay pot lug 1 does connect directly to ground

The depth and attack pots don’t, attack is connected to ground via R19 If you look at the schematic you’ll see how they’re wired and where you should expect continuity

If I understand correctly you are saying that all pots don’t have much range across thier rotation and they go from min to max very quickly?

Double check you have the correct value pots in the correct positions there’s not a huge difference in pot values but if you put a B2K were a B10K should go then the range would be affected

As Barry says check all component values and orientation it’s very easy to use an incorrect value in a fairly high parts count build

This is what I use to check resistor values

https://samstechlib.com/610938/en/read/Sam_s_Tech_Library

pgodfrin
    Participant

OK, cool. I will. Thanks!

pgodfrin
    Participant

pots look good.

pgodfrin
    Participant

Hiya Folks,

Well, the components seem to check out. I’ll put it all back together and test it. Outside of the enclosure, it seemed to work fine, although a tad bit of a lower signal. I think the build is prolly ok, I wonder if I had shorted out or compromised something when I had it jammed in the smaller enclosure…

pgodfrin
    Participant

Well folks, Good news. I checked out all the components, did a re-flow on the pots a couple of joints, and plopped it into a larger enclosure, and it works much better. Erm, the wires are a bit long on the pots, oh well…

Prolly dinged something jamming it in the smaller box, or the re-flows improved something or other.

Anyway, thanks!! On to the next project!

pg

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart