Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Aeon Overdrive no power (answered)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Billy 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Smitty Lange
    Participant

Just built the Aeon Overdrive.  Does not power up.  Bypass mode works.  Went over all my solder connections and wiring multiple times.  I am obviously missing something.  Checked everything from the power cord to each individual joint.   Attached a couple of internal pics for you all to check.  Any help is much appreciated.

Billy

Can’t see your DC jack clearly but main +9v should go to the outer power lug with the middle one being for battery power as I say can’t see if your power is going to the middle if so change to the outer one

Smitty Lange
    Participant

Its to the outer.

Billy

Do you get 9v on the DC jack with the adaptor plugged in

Smitty Lange
    Participant

I do not.  Check cord and it shows 9volts but not behind the connector with the cord plugged in.

Billy

OK it’s difficult to see even when I zoom into the photo it looks like you have 2 red wires from the DC jack one to the main pcb +9v and the other to the 3PDT board +9v

If you have power going into the DC jack and not beyond then I’d reflow the solder joints on the DC jack I can’t see if any of the wires are touching I’m assuming not that’d be a dead short usually causing the wires to heat up so you’d definitely notice it! If you’re not getting power on the DC jack lugs make sure you’re using a centre negative adaptor and continuity check that ground is the centre pin on your DC jack

it does look like you have a lot of solder on the DC jack lugs so as I say reflow making sure you get a good flow and remove any excess solder sometimes even if it looks shiny on the outside with excess solder it can be dry on the inside making a bad connection

Continuity check from your DC jack lugs to the +9v pads making sure you have a good connection make sure its the lugs and pads you continuity check and not the ends of the wires same for your ground connection and conversely make sure nothings connecting that shouldn’t be

Billy

So just to recap and make sure I’m understanding correctly you’ve checked your adaptor (cord) which puts out +9v and when it’s plugged into the DC jack and you put your meter probes on the DC jack solder lugs you get no voltage? With your meter set to 20V DC

Matt
    Participant

Does it work outside the enclosure?

Smitty Lange
    Participant

Got back on it this morning and Billy your was right from the start.  The power was on the wrong lug.  Not sure if it  makes a difference but I hadn’t installed the clr on the 3pdt borad either.  You can never double check enough.

Billy

You need the CLR on the 3PDT board with your LED mounted on it Smitty  you may be lucky with the power not getting to the pcb and it might not have blown

Mount anything from around 1K to 4K7 depending on how bright you like it I’ve gone higher than 4K7 because I like them dull

Hopefully the DC jack is your only problem your build looks good to me

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart