Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Sho 'Nuff tone control (answered)

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Barry 5 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Mike
    Participant

hi!
    My first post here.
    I’m basically kind of a newbie in diy so first sorry if my question may sound stupid 😉
    I’ve built a Sho ‘Nuff drive, with the 5k volume pot, in a 1590a enclosure.
    I’m thinking of adding a tone control to it, but i don’t know where to start… can anyone help me?
    Thanks

Scott Preston
    Participant

Welcome to the forum.  There is a very simple solution (but it won’t fit into a 1590a enclosure along with the Sho ‘Nuff), I highly recommend one of Bary’s ToneTweq circuits.  It is an active EQ (meaning it can cut and boost frequencies) and would work really well with the Sho ‘Nuff.

Cheers,

-Scott

Mike
    Participant

First of all, thanks for the reply!
    It seems quite an interesting board, think I’ll might give it a try.
    What I was searching for is just a simple one-pot tone control just to be able to unleash the full potential of this little gem of pedal.
    Well, this sounds a bit pretentious, but I think u’ve got the idea 😀

Looking at the schematic I see a 100nF cap, which I know being a common value for guitar. Maybe a switch for a different (bigger= bassier?) value?

Barry
    Keymaster

100nF allows for the full frequency of a standard tuned Bass Guitar which wouldn’t start rolling off until after the low E. I use a 22n in some applications for 6 string guitar in my projects for coupling capacitors so I have a tight bottom end (value depends on the circuit and variables) with no unwanted low artifacts sneaking through. That said if you play a 5 string Bass and want to make sure to knock the beer bottles off the tables use a 220nF in place of 100nF or put it on a switch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close Menu

Cart