Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Adding slots to a DPDT switch

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hello, everyone, new to the forums so hopefully this is posted in the correct location.

The tone pot of my guitar is DPDT push-pull. Currently it’s set up like this: 

I’m using Seymour Duncan color codes, and I’m only showing the twisted red/white cable for simplicity.

So the tone pot coil splits the two humbuckers simultaneously. In the middle position I’m adding a single coil that supports coil tapping. I’d like to also coil tap it alongside the coil split above. So pulling the pot coil splits the humbuckers and coil taps the single coil. To do that I figure I’d need to have 3PDT so I’d have a 3×3 instead if 2×3. That’ll give me room to add the third pickup leads without contacting any of the existing ones.

The single coil has a ground lead, and two leads corresponding to the different coil tap settings. The below diagram is for a Strat with 3 of my type of single coil. Pulling the pot coil taps the pickup by going to low output mode by only connecting the low output lead (in pushed down position the high output lead is used).

Can anyone give me a hand figuring this out?

EDIT: Would something like these products be helpfuL???

wilkie1

As I understand your request, you wish to add a third pickup between the 2 humbuckers.  The third pickup has 2coils (3 wires-2 hot and one ground) that you wish to be able to select.

First, since you now have 3 pickups, I suggest you use a Fender type 5 position switch to select various pickup combinations.

For coil tapping, you can use the same volume pots with pull up DPDT switches for the humbuckers.  For the new dual coil pickup, you can add an additional volume pot/switch or use a separate DPDT toggle switch to select coil A, coil B or BOTH.  To do this  the DPDT switch needs to be a ON-ON-ON style.  See the Build Doc for The GPBC SUNN T for a wiring diagram that will permit this switching.

https://guitarpcb.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/BD_SunnT.pdf

wilkie1

Further thoughts.  If you wish to just add the coil tap feature to the third pickup, you could use a 3PDT switch instead of the DPDT you mentioned.  However, I am not aware of a 3PDT switch combined with a pot.

The DPDT switch board offered here is designed to add components to be switched.  The 3PDT foot switch board would not work because it has an internal trace that connects poles 3 and 9 that is used for signal bypass.

Anonymous
    Inactive

After a while of fiddling around, I think I found a diagram that works. Didn’t need to add any hardware. Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.