Home Forums GuitarPCB Build Support Add-Verb distortion

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Matt.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Matt
    Participant

Good evening- I finished up the Add-Verb and got it into an enclosure. I’ll have pics tomorrow but for now I’m getting distortion on the tails of the verb if I hit it too hard. Clean signal going in and individual notes sound ok, but if I hold a chord the slap back is overdriven. Has anyone experienced that before? I’m on my way to go check components again but wondered if anyone had an idea in the meantime. Thanks!

Matt
    Participant

I also have a video. I’ll upload it to the tube and put a link in.

Matt
    Participant

https://youtu.be/ydmi2KbVp80

I think that worked.

wilkie1

If you are experiencing some distortion in the tails of the signal, you may be over driving the reverb brick.  This may be most noticeable with the decay pot at full CW rotation.  First, try sending a lower signal to the circuit.  If the distortion goes away, you can work with that level or you could reduce the gain of the first stage by lowering the value of R3.  AT 200K, the gain is 7.4 for the first stage. (200/27).  The build doc also suggested using a shorter decay by changing the Decay pot to a 10K dual pot.

The limitation is a function of the brick itself.  If you reduce the signal, you can clean this up and then regain your level further downstream.

Matt
    Participant

I’ll try digging out that R3 first. I’ve tried running the pots at a reduced level and I just get quieter distortion. I definitely don’t want shorter decay, so I’m hoping this will help. Thank you.

Cybercow

Matt – Taking a stab it this issue . . . .   C5 (based on the photo provided) looks a little large for 100pF. (Could just be the camera lens\angle.) Double check that value. I’d also dbl-check the value of R7 at 6K8Ω

Mark

Matt
    Participant

Thanks Mark. I’ll look when I get home. Got called into a gig today. The resistor looks right to me, blue, grey, black, brown but I’ll look in person. The cap I’ll have to check in person. I appreciate you looking. I’ll also try lowering the input volume.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Close Menu

Cart